Saturday, November 21, 2009

Edna's Baptism and Confirmation Certificate

Above is a copy of Edna Eborn's baptism and confirmation certificate.  I remember her telling us about her baptism in Lyman Hymas' Spring.  During those years, this was the most popular place for young people in the Liberty and Lanark area to be baptized, as it never completely froze over during the winter months and was sufficiently deep for a baptism by immersion to be performed there.  In my mind I thought I recalled her telling about a wintertime baptism, which would have made sense, since she would have turned eight years of age in November of 1920, but the official certificate says she was baptized by Torrey Austin on July 10, 1921.  Apparently her father and stepmother, Martha, must have decided to put the baptism off until the weather was warmer.  She was glad to be a member of the Chruch of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and worked diligently to live up to the sacred covenants she made with the Lord that day.  As I look back, I can see how important this event was in her life and how the teachings and covenats of the gospel have affected all of her posterity.  I do not have the official certificate, or a copy, for our dad, Darrell, but as I recall, he was baptized in the same place.  It may have been him, who was baptized during the colder months of winter. He was born on October 6, 1912.  I'm not sure.  Does any one else have any more exact recollections of these important events?

by Bart

No comments:

Post a Comment