Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Girls-Brenda and Nina

This is a picture of Brenda and Nina - daughters of Darrell and Edna.
I think we were about five and three. Don't you suppose that they were just so happy to have such cute little girls? I remember wearing ringlets for many years, and the red dress was crocheted and I remember feeling very pretty in it! Mom has told us girls that she enjoyed dressing us up and Mom and Dad always wanted us to remember that we were girls, or young ladies. Dad used to sing a little song to me that went like this -"B-R-E-N-D-A, I sure love you today." and Mom had embroidered my name on a little outfit I wore. And Nina was always Nina-belle. I remember that as Nina and I got older Dad was very insistent that we wore dresses instead of pants, and that we did not have curlers in our hair when boy friends or other guests would come to call. Mother also kept Nina and I from doing the milking chores as she wanted to spare us that job. Mother milked many, many cows in her youth, and she was determined that it was not going to be our job. She would go and do it herself, and have us do the dishes, etc. before she would let us do it! Dad would not let Nina or myself do hard farm work either. They protected us well but we were taught to sew and put up peaches, pick raspberries, and even pluck the chickens! We did learn to work. I remember taking lemonade to the hay crew, or on occasion herding cows, or pulling dandelions for pigs. Mom and Dad were hard workers and we learned to help out. Life was not easy on a farm. And we all learned to work and do our share.


Memories of Brenda
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. You can do anything you put your mind to. Thanks for the post. we'll all be looking forward to more. Everyone's perspective is important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I had the cutest little sisters ever.

    ReplyDelete