Thursday, December 9, 2010

Is it very far? Go figure.

As you all know we work at the Logan Temple. Since we started working there , I have developed a keen interest in family history and the associated temple work. Over the last year I have researched and submitted many names to have the ordinances performed in the temples of the Church, when this is done these ordinances may be done in any of the Church's 134 operating temples around the world. We submitted these names when we realized that there were so many that we would never be able to get all the work done ourselves or even with the assistance of family, friends, and ward members. One of the names I submitted was a William Ebourne, an alternate spelling of our family name, who is a distant cousin and had lived in England many years ago. On Thursday last, I went to work on our regular shift. The first assignment I had was at the New Name booth. As I took my position, the very first name that was presented to me was, William Ebourne. I was surprised and thought that it couldn't be just a coincidence. After all, these names were sent all over the world and most of the temples are open for many hours each day. What are the chances that a specific name would go through a specific area in the temple during a given few minutes, while I happened to be at that post?

A little less than two hours later I was assigned to be a receiver at the veil of the temple. As I took my position to receive, the very first person who came to the veil was holding the very same card with the name William Ebourne. A tingle went over my whole body and I felt as though I were in the very presence of the spirit of William Ebourne, himself. I could not see him, but I certainly felt his presence and felt the gratitude he was feeling for the work that was being done on his behalf. This is just one of many special and sacred experiences we have had while working in the Logan Temple these past two years. The longer I live the less I believe in coincidence or luck. I have felt and observed, as it were, an unseen hand that guides our lives, never forcing, but gently and lovingly directing the affairs of our lives. It has been a great blessing to us and we feel we are blessing the lives of those who have gone before us and now need our help. What a blessing and honor it is to serve. The veil of the Temple is indeed very thin.

by Bart

4 comments:

  1. That is such a neat story! It is fun to see you and Iris both there, when Ben and I go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyssa, It's great to see you and Ben at the Temple. That is one of the great blessings of working there, seeing the good young people come to the House of the Lord, especially if it's relatives or people we know.

    Bart and Iris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bart, I've spent the last hour reading over your blogs. What a great experience. I've thoroughly enjoyed it. You've done a wonderful job with the blog, and have such a great family to be proud of! The years pass so quickly. I just saw you for a moment at Aunt Opal's funeral a year ago,at Christmas time, and regret that we didn't get a chance to visit. We have so much in common, both heritage wise, and experiences in life. I cherish the times we used to teach together and ride back and forth from Montpelier to Paris with you, and Brothers Grandy, Bunderson, and Garbett. That was 30-38 years ago, and seems like yesterday. You might be interested to know that Grandpa's sister Maude Volberding is buried just north of Stratton where we live, in the town of Akron, Colorado. I'm just finishing my 40th year in education, and still have a lot to learn. We could sure use a good history teacher. Come on out and join us! Your cousin, Eric Moser. elmoser@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Bart and family. I am new to the blog but hope to be able to keep in touch with the extended family more often. I don't know if you have ever seen it but there is an amazing book written about the beginning of the Logan Temple. It has many beautiful stories about the building and the pioneers who first attended the sacred meetings held inside. It is very interesting to see how hard Satan and his followers tried to stop the building of it and the people from attending. One story was about how every time people made a plan to go to the temple something would happen and they would not be able to go as planned. After many many times of trying to go they discovered that if they spoke of their intentions openly they were thwarted but if they were able to make their plans to go without speaking it out loud, just pointing to a date on the calendar then just grab their clothes and go, then they were able to make it to the temple just fine. Another is about how one time the Temple President went out into the temple yard and it was filled with people. He was approached by one man who told the president that these people intended to stand in the way of anyone who tried to enter into the building. It was through the power of the Priesthood that they were told to leave and many saw what appeared to be a wagon train of them leaving. They stopped by with one final warning that Lucifer and his people would continue to do everything they could to stop the followers of Christ from going into the temple. It is an amazing book if you can find a copy I recommend it. It gave me a whole new appreciation for those that actually stood to protect the buildings from those who would destroy the Holy Temples of the Lord. Giving us the blessings of being able to attend and do the work.
    Lory Eborn Stout Lory316@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete